Friday, September 24, 2010

Autumn?

Not so you could tell here in eastern Pennsylvania! It is going to be 90 today.  It would be so much more understandable if I lived in Alabama or Texas or even Virginia.  I need the cool air to come and stay and not just for a couple of days.  Enough with the teasing!

OK - got that out of the way...

I started quilting one of the baby quilts I pieced earlier in the month.  I am using wool batting for the first time. Oh.my.goodness! I love this batting!


I have been using Warm and Natural for such a long time and I do love the way the quilts feel old and "antique-ie" after they are washed but this batting quilts up so beautifully.  There is a light puffiness in the quilting and is much easier to move on the machine bed.  I have not finished the quilting so I haven't seen yet how it appears after washing.  I will let you know what I think after I complete the final step.

I purchased several bags of this batting just for baby quilts.  I had been wanting to try wool batting and when I saw this
I knew I had to do it!  I think I bought all that they had at my local Joann's store.  I have no idea why it was on clearance.  I love it!

Here's what just a bit of the quilting looks like at this point.  I am going to do a loopy line down the center of the lattice strips and then feathers on the outside border.


You really cannot see the loft but, I promise, it is very fluffy.  I am thinking now that I might want to use wool batting for my Chocolat quilt.  I bet it would be warm and not have too much weight.  Anyone have any experience with wool batting in a large quilt?

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love using wool batting for large quilts. I only use it in "special" quilts as it is so expensive, even on sale. I've used if for all the large quilts I've done for our bed. It's light weight, yet warm, but not hot like we typically think of wool being. I have a quilt to go on the frame this weekend and I've been saving a wool bat for over a year to use in this quilt. I buy them when they are on sale and keep them for specific quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear how it washes up. I've been wanting to try it for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try this too for a quilt I am making for our bed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...