Y'all know that I have used the floor, the bunk beds and the guest room bed for a design "wall". I finally decided to stop whining and make one! I used pvc pipe, elbows, a flannel backed plastic tablecloth and a tutorial from Karen (Sew Many Ways). I did add the prop stand on the back because I wanted to make as few cuts of the pipe as necessary. I also didn't want to have to do any cutting at all on my plastic tablecloth. I can easily prop it against a cabinet, chair or whatever. For this photo I had it propped against my china cabinet in the dining room. The design wall is 4' x 5'.
I do need to add a velcro tab on either side to make the edge a bit more taut but other than that I am calling it done.
I started slapping up blocks of "Spring on SW 185th Street" but at this point that is all they are...slapped up! It has become very apparent that the predominant color in the quilt will be gray which is a huge switch up for me. However, spring in the Pacific Northwest is very often gray. As soon as I decide on the layout I will add strips of gray (and maybe some yellow) to make the blocks all the same size. This is the most improvisational as I have ever been. (Baby steps, people. Baby steps!)