Emily and I are working on a couple of things while she is with me this month. This is one of our projects.
We have one more border and then it will be the right size to meet the Quilts of Valor specifications. Em and I have both done the cutting, Em has done most of the piecing and I man the iron. We have not chosen the outer border fabric as Emily wanted to see what it looked like before making that final fabric selection but I am pretty sure it will be something red.
Emily was really excited at the prospect of making something for a member of the armed forces and I am especially happy that we made something using patriotic colors and feminine. This is my first QOV project so I don't know if I can make suggestions, however, it is my hope that the quilt will go to a woman helicopter pilot. Army aviation is near and dear to my heart as my father was an Army helicopter pilot and I have friends who also were part of that program.
Next up is making a sundress. The pattern Em selected has hooks, eyes and a zipper. The bodice is fitted and the skirt is full and cut on the bias. Other than a simple jumper that I made for my younger granddaughter, I have not made a real dress in at least 20 years. I am sure fabric will be thrown at some point in this process...