Saturday, April 28, 2012

Now what?

Our local Joann's closed and opened in a new location.  It is very snazzy with lots more craft items, offers all kinds of classes and now sells Viking/Husqvarna sewing machines and accessories.  I have a bunch of 50% discount coupons so I am using them to pick up things like Kona cotton, buttons and home dec fabric.

Burlap seems to be all the rage.  I saw a half yard piece in the remnant section.  It was discounted 50% so I thought I would grab it.



So, now what do I do with it?  A table runner seems the most logical idea just because of the way it is cut.  I am thinking maybe simple appliques on it and then ruffles at either end.  I don't want to get too elaborate - it's just burlap for heaven's sake!  I think I will lay it out on the dining room table and see if it "speaks" to me.

Has anyone ever washed this stuff?

5 comments:

  1. You can always cover a piece of cork board with it, add some fabric touches, and made a bulletin board. Or cut into pieces, & wrap flower pots & tie with bright ribbon. Or you can wait until you've done something really horrendous & wear it as part if your sack cloth and ashes penance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased burlap one time to make rugs, you make the rug from quilt squares and put the burlap on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea that Barb has!! There are tons of projects on Pinterest that involve Burlap...all the young mommies are using it to decorate for parties and making some really cute things with it! I personally want a burlap bag for the Summer, of course...lined with some fabric flowers...but I have a great imagination and I will never get to that project.

    An outdoor table runner would be nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason in my mind, I see burlap used with raffia. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never washed burlap but I think you could - provided that you had finished the edges and did it on gentle wash.

    Im seeing a cushion cover myself....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...