Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I am not crazy!

It's almost 3:30am and I have been up for an hour. It wouldn't be such a bad thing if I had gotten a few more hours sleep. I went to bed at 11 after a harrowing evening. About 6pm or so, I went into my storage room to get my big cutting mat. Usually I cut over there but I have Christmas decoration boxes sitting all over my cutting table and I was too lazy to organize anything. So...I pulled the mat out from under the boxes and then realized that I smelled gas. I IMMEDIATELY freaked out! I ran upstairs to my neighbor's and asked if he had the landlord's phone number. He couldn't find it so I ran back downstairs and basically just ran in circles. A few minutes later, the GFUS brought down the number that he found. I called my landlord, told him what I smelled and he said he would be right over. There is only one place in the building where there is a gas line and that is in the boiler room next to my storage room. All of the apartments are totally electric. The GFUS brought down the key to the boiler room and we both went in sniffing. Nothing...nada...zilch. So I dragged him into my storage room and said, "Smell it?" Nope, he didn't but then he is damned near 80 and his nose probably doesn't work as well as it used to. Then my landlord arrived and he went into the boiler room and then I also dragged him into the storage room. "Smell it?" Nope. He sniffed and wandered around and I kept sniffing and would say "I smell it right here!" and he would come over, sniff and tell me he didn't smell anything. I am not crazy, people! He assured me that everything was OK, there were no lines running over or around my storage room and then he hugged me and asked if I was ok. I told him I was sorry that I dragged him out of his home for nothing. He told me to call any time I had a concern.

I STILL smell gas and I periodically smell it now in my apartment. Just a little waft. I don't know what to do so I guess I will just open up the storage room, prop open a couple of doors that lead outdoors and let the gas dissipate when the smell gets too strong. I did call my mom and tell her about the problem. I figured if the building blows up in the middle of the night, at least my mom will know why it happened and then sue the crap out of somebody!

Bottom line...I cut out the fabric for the quilt along and started sewing. I was too keyed up to sleep so I woke up after about 3 hours and turned on my sewing machine. I know there isn't any point in trying to go back to bed even though my eyes are burning. I just put on a pot of coffee so my day really begins now.

They are going to love me at work today...sleepy and cranky!


  1. I can remeber that happening to me. It turned out that we had punched a nail into a gas pipe that was half way up the wall. It took us 6 months to track the source.

    love an dhugs xxx

  2. That's happened to me too. If it keeps happening though, just call the gas company. It's not like they're going to charge you for coming out to check. Gas leaks are just not something to mess with.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...