Sunday, November 7, 2010

An adventure

I have a holiday open house for Hazelnut Hill Deux in 3 weeks.  I have been sewing day and night for about the last month.  I have, at the very least, another 40 things to make.  So, what did I do yesterday?  I went shopping with my sister!  I needed fabric so there was good reason to shop but did we really need to take 6 hours?!?

We went out into Lancaster County which has some of the best fabric shopping imaginable.  Specifically, my sister wanted me to "experience" Obie's Country Store.  I am guessing it was a general store dating back to the late 1800s.  There is an enormous gas lamp chandelier hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the shop and a second floor with random width planked floor boards.  Those are the only real architectural details I can give you because of this
 and this

and this

Heading up to the second floor...

where I found this

and in one of the small rooms


The fabric on the first floor is literally stacked from floor to ceiling.  If you are looking for fabric to finish something you started several years ago, I bet they have it!  They have PB Textiles, Red Rooster, Marcus Brothers and Maywood Studios.  Just about everything else I saw was manufactured by generic fabric companies.  The prices for the more recent fabrics were just a little bit less expensive than most shops in the area.  Fabric that had been around longer was priced accordingly.  I did find a couple pieces that I will use for Hazelnut Hill Hazelnut Deux.  Do not go into this shop if you are claustrophobic because you will come out screaming!  I was a little creeped out.  Two people cannot be in the aisle at the same time.  You have to kind of weave your way around a maze of fabric.  This place could not pass a fire inspection so they must not do them out in the county.  I am really glad I went because it made me laugh...a lot!...and now I can say that I have been there!

We also went to a huge fabric outlet, the Hayloft quilt shop in Morgantown and the Waverly fabric outlet.  My sister found gorgeous home dec fabric (she is re-doing the master bath) at just 12.99 a yard with an additional 20% discount store special.  If you are in the area and are looking for upholstery or drapery/curtain fabric, it is worth the trip.

Here's what I added to my stash


I also picked up some Metro Blue Goes Black but apparently I left it in my sister's car since I can't find it.  Good thing we are going shopping again today!!

7 comments:

  1. Holy cow!!! Lancaster County is only about 8 hours away so if I left now...

    ;) what a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have LOVED it. OMG. Enjoy your day again today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow....when I move up that way, I am going to have to go there. Just loved the photos and the fabrics you got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!! I would love to camp in there for days and dig around!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can honestly say I don't enjoy Obie's at all. I like to be able to look at the fabric, and in there I feel like it will fall on me at any moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of a quilt shop here in Illinois. Some parts of that store are worse and some better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...