Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow Day

I live in the area of Pennsylvania that is predicted to get between 10 and 12” of snow.  About 3am there was a little over 8” on the ground.  It is expected to snow all morning and then taper off to flurries this afternoon.  Since I probably will not dig out the car until tomorrow morning as the road conditions will be questionable today, I am going to sew all day…except when I have to take some time to clean and organize my bedroom.  (It looks like a 16 year old boy is sleeping in there!)
Last Saturday I picked up a pack of charm squares to make a quick table runner for Valentine’s Day.  You know, charm squares = fast and easy, right?  Well, not necessarily.  I chose the “Jingle Jolly Runner” from Happy Zombie as I like the hidden stars design.  I had thought about just sewing squares into a simple rectangle but wanted something with just a little more pizzazz.  I took it with me to S4 and thought I would have it finished by the end of the day.  I should have actually read over the pattern BEFORE I packed up my stuff to take with me.  Why it never occurred to me that I would actually need fabric to make the stars is beyond me.  (At this point I blame everything on menopause and lead in my china!)  I ended up being my sister’s “assistant” which was nice for her but I was totally frustrated!  This past week every morning I have worked on the table runner before leaving for the office.  I finished it Friday morning so today I will layer and quilt it.  Here it is in flimsy form
IMG_7473
(I know – you are loving my design floor – right?!)
I have a pile of projects that need completion so I am also going to finish quilting this cheater panel with a couple of borders added for interest.
IMG_7487
When S4 was on retreat last summer I made this using part of my batik collection
IMG_7482
You can see that it has been folded and in a drawer since August!
I also have two large totes that I started months ago and never finished.  I needed lining fabric for both which I picked up last weekend so they are in the “need to finish” pile
IMG_7485
Both of these will have box bottoms so the emphasis will be on the larger prints at the top of the bag.  I really like using stripes for bag bottoms.
I just made a pot of coffee, have dough in the bread machine and there are beans soaking for soup.  This is gonna be a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like your day has started on a good note. All of your projects shown are so pretty and colorful.

    Especially like the fabric selection for the bags.

    Enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staying home and sewing sounds like a great idea with all the snow you'll be getting. I made the table runner a couple of years ago and it was easy once you knew you needed other fabric. Looks like you have lots to keep you busy. Can't wait to see all the finishes.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is alot of snow....you do have some lovely projects on your floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful projects; i really love the runner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great runner and I love your batik braids

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...