Friday, August 24, 2012

The Society of Sexy Sewing Sisters

It's that time again.  The occasional annual summer retreat of the Society of Sexy Sewing Sisters (S4) is this weekend.  We are leaving early Friday morning and returning home on Sunday afternoon.  There will be much laughter, talking, singing...and that is just on the ride to the mountains!  We will be making a stop at Wegman's in Williamsport (simply because we must) and probably side trips to Needles quilt shop in Wellsboro and The Gathering Place quilt shop in Montoursville.  Sadly, the lovely little quilt shop in Coudersport closed recently so we won't be seeing one of my favorite people, Mim.

This is our destination - Bear Hollow in Potter County.


I can't think of anywhere I would rather spend a long weekend!  The weather promises to be good with night time temps in the upper 50s and low 60s.  Days will be in the upper 70s and low 80s.  I love to wake up early, make a pot of coffee, wrap myself up in an afghan and hunker down on the porch swing.  If I am really quiet I can watch the deer come down the hill and into the meadow.  It really is a charmed place.

When I go on a retreat I seem to take every project that comes to mind.  When traveling alone or with just one other companion, this isn't such a big deal.  If you are cramming 6 women with all their "stuff" in 2 cars, space becomes precious and I decided to do a little editing this year.  In addition to my bag of clothing and toiletries, the insulated tote containing all that I need to prepare breakfast on Saturday,  my sewing machine, and one relatively small bag with these projects and tools.


I have everything organized in zip bags (2 wristlets - all cut with all the pieces & parts, a bag with everything I need to make coasters and table runners, 4 packages of charm squares and a small package of batting), all my tools (threads, bobbins, markers) in a tall stackable, a small cutting surface and an 8-1/2" square.  I am also taking a mostly completed quilt that just needs the binding hand sewn.  Everything fits in my hippy bag.  I cannot tell you how impressed I am with myself!

One of the members of our group recently took a spill down the steps and sustained a concussion.  Though she is feeling better she will not be going with us this time.  Norma, we will miss you!!

So...do you have any special plans for the weekend?

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Suzan! That place looks just beautiful. If I were with you, I would be on the porch at 2am, as that is my stupid sleep schedule, then back to bed, but on the porch at sunrise sounds absolutely wonderful. Have the most fun of your life. Laughter and friends is the best medicine you can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun!! sounds like you have packed very smartly!!

    NORMA!!! Feel better girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go - making me jealous again :-) Sounds and looks heavenly - have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like such a lovely place for a retreat. One of these days I am going to make good on your invitation of long ago to come down and meet the sisters.

    This weekend???? We are moving Abby to Indiana, PA for her freshman debut... packing, laundry, etc today.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it will be heavenly. We used to have a camp in Potter County years ago and every once in a while I do miss it. It was mainly a man's camp, but the scenery and the quietness was awesome.

    A brother-in-law is also a shareholder in a camp in Trout Run north of Williamsport, so I know that area a little too, as a group of us make an annual trek up the mountain to his camp on 1200 acres.

    Hope you have a fabulous weekend and thanks for the post to jog some good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time up here in north-central PA! And FYI -- Needles has been sold to a new owner, but Mary and Katie still help out part-time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather was born and raised in Williamsport. I haven't been there in years. Looks like fun, enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...