Monday, February 18, 2008

My first bargello

Yesterday our quilting group got together to eat, talk and sew a little. I started on a quilt I have been planning for my youngest son, Brian. His birthday is in March and since it is his 35th I wanted to do something special to commemorate this milestone. Brian quit a very lucrative job in sales to become a high school science teacher. His wife, Sally, was extremely supportive, they moved back to the Tidewater area of Virginia and Brian started teaching. One of the classes he teaches is Marine Biology. I call this quilt "Chesapeake Blue". It is all batiks and the outer border is a beautiful Hoffman batik that has coral and kelp depicted in the fabric. I drew my color inspiration from the border. Just the quilt top is done but Jen said to share so here it is. I think it is beautiful and I really hope my baby boy likes it!



(Brian never reads my blog so I know it's safe to post!)


12 comments:

  1. that is GORGEOUS! I just finished piecing a patriotic one, I will post when I get the borders on...WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzan, That's beautiful. The colors are perfect. The outer border almost looks like the same batik that I used except mne was reds/greens. It looks like the same pattern. I just love how those blues pop. I WANT IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Suzan, that is so beautiful! I think you can't go wrong picking out the border fabric first then getting fabrics to go with it and pull out various colors from it. I love the way you cut your strips in different widths. Hope you son is very happy with it. I'll be interested to see how you decide to quilt it. I haven't decided on that for mine yet, nor have I decided for sure on the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's gorgeous. I love the way the colours go together.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgous! I am so impressed with the choice of colours. How long did it take you to piece this? Bargellos look difficult to me. Congratulations and please let us know how much your son loves it!
    Hugs,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just breathtaking! I have been wanting to do a bargello - and every one I see gives me new inspiration for playing with the colors.

    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzan,

    Its lovely!!!

    Oh, byt the way... YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED!!! Link back to my blog and find out what to do next.

    Hugs,

    Nancy
    www.patchworkpenguin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing bargello! I haven't done one, but I sure would love to do one. I love the colors in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. The blue and orange just set the entire quilt off. I love bargello quilts and yours is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow the quilt is beautiful. That border fabric is fantastic and you did a great job on it. I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands if your son doesn't think he needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really REALLY nice. I'm sure he's a wonderful teacher. You must be so proud of him. How is that our children age so quickly when we never seem to?
    Have a great Wednesday....
    Regina in MI

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is lovely and by far the best bargello that I've seen. I loved the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...